Friday, March 14, 2008

Spring

I'm still pretty new to the Mommy game so I love hearing other moms tips for all kinds of things! This season I have heard so many good tips for Spring and Easter. Here are a few that I have decided to adopt.

1. Separate the "First Day of Spring" and Easter Sunday.
Me and Nate are going to give the boys their Easter baskets on the morning of the first Day of Spring. Then we will have our egg hunt when Nate gets home. On Easter Sunday We will focus on the Savior.

2. Toys instead of Candy.

Me and Nate don't give our children candy, so were trying think of things to put in their baskets. We decided after several different tips from other families that we would get the kids new spring toys. This year we got Caden his first beach toys and got Drake some colorful baby cubes.

3. Plastic Egg Fillers
Instead of Candy in the eggs I have come up with some of my own ideas and adopted them from other people. Money, small toys, Hints to lead them around till they find the big prize, or puzzles.
4. Egg Hunt Drama Solution
You can limit the Drama of who got more eggs or the little kids not getting any. Color code your kids! The littlest would be one color and they could be out on the grass and easy to find but your older kids could be another color and you can hide them in harder places. If each person has their own color you could fill the eggs with things you know that the child likes. Me and my friend Rozemary are going to try it with her daughters and Caden.
So these are the tips that I liked. If anyone else has any good ones please comment. I would love to hear from those with experience!

5 comments:

Jewelianna said...

I am so glad you posted this. I haven't exactly been sure what I wanted to do regarding Easter because the commercialized traditions are fun, but it's hard to focus on the Savior when there's a basket of goodies from the Easter bunny. I was thinking that we'd just fill our children's baskets with things you can get at Deseret Book that teach about the Savior or encourage spiritual growth - which I still might do. But the idea of celebrating the first day of spring with egg hunts and whatnot is brilliant.

Alison said...

I LOVE your tips!! Awesome idea about the color coding of the eggs and I love breaking up the easter baskets on the first day of spring and then focusing on the Savior on Easter Sunday. That's how it should be!

Melissa said...

that is a good idea. what are you going to do on the years that the first day of spring is several weeks before easter?

Ice Cream said...

I love the no candy idea but still using the eggs.

triciarnorton said...

These are great ideas!